The last time I saw Bryan Simpson, it was September of 2010 and he was walking off the stage with his mates in Cadillac Sky at the Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion. The band had just killed it. Absolutely killed it. Burned the stage down, rebuilt it, and then burned it down again. That set was one of the most amazing hours of music I have ever experienced. Cadillac Sky was on fire. Then, just a couple of months later, Simpson left the band and soon thereafter Cadillac Sky was no more.
This month’s Trail Mix signals Bryan Simpson’s return. We lead off our March mix with “Mercy Please,” the brand new track from Simpson’s new project, The Whistles & The Bells. Simpson refers to the new record, which releases on March 4th, as a “personal earthquake” that chronicles his spiritual reawakening. It is a powerful return for one of Nashville’s best songwriters. Be sure to check out Jedd’s interview with Simpson in the magazine this month, too.
Also featured this month are some heavy hitters. The Hold Steady, one of the decades best buzz rockers, and Built To Spill, long time indie faves, share tunes. Also check out tunes from Camper Van Beethoven and The Dream Syndicate.
Stephen Murray, of Holy Ghost Tent Revival, recently released his solo debut. Take a listen to “Sweet Stephanie” and then get your hands on his new record.
Be sure to listen to tracks from up and coming roots artists like The Sea The Sea, Robert Sarazin Blake, The Moonshine, Lindsay Lou & The Flatbellies, Miner, and Underhill Rose. And, as always, get out and buy the records from the artists we are showcasing this month. They are darned sure worth spending your money on. Help support these artists that support Trail Mix.
Trail Mix Note – The tracks from Built To Spill and The Hold Steady are stream only and will not be included on the downloadable zip file.
- The Whistles & The Bells – Mercy Please
- Built to Spill – Jokerman
- Camper Van Beethoven – Eye of Fatima (Pt.1)
- Dex Romweber Duo – Roll On
- Holly Golightly & The Broke Offs – SLC
- Johnny Beauford – Little Dance
- Korby Lenker – My Little Life
- Laurie Lewis – Trees (Featuring Nina Gerber, Tristan Clarridge, The T Sisters & Tom Rozum)
- Lindsay Lou & The Flatbellys – The River Jordan
- Mariah Presents Mountain Minstrelry – An Old Timer’s Plaint
- Miner – Hey Love
- Mollie O’Brien & Rich Moore – Sunday Street
- Mozes & The Firstborn – I Got Skills
- Robert Sarazin Blake – Dingle To Tralee
- Steep Ravine – Wildflower Honey
- Stephen Murray – Sweet Stephanie
- The Dream Syndicate – That’s What You Always Say
- The Hold Steady – I Hope This Whole Thing Didn’t Frighten You
- The Moonshine – Never Know
- The Sea The Sea – Love We Are We Love
- Trout Steak Revival – Union Pacific
- Underhill Rose – Helpless Wanderer
- Wyatt Easterling – Why Did It Take So Long