Riding High

Icebreaker Cadence Shorts and Circuit Jersey Icebreaker is known for producing top-end merino wool base layers and technical outerwear for winter sports, but this year they’re introducing merino wool bike shorts and jerseys, bringing the plush comfort and supreme moisture management of wool to the biking world. The mountain bike jersey has rear zippered pockets and a loose fit,  while the road jersey has a more athletic cut. The shorts are made from an 85 percent merino wool, with the remaining 15 percent a spandex and nylon combo. $160 shorts, $140 jersey; icebreaker.com Julbo Dirt When you need reliable trail vision, the Dirt’s patented photochromic lens darkens or lightens with the light’s intensity, so sight stays clear as you navigate the wooded singletrack maze. The frames feature wide, helmet-friendly coverage for comfort on long rides. $160; julbousa.com

EXPERT PICK “My favorite piece of gear during the Tour Divide Race was hands down and without hesitation the Aero Bars on my mountain bike. The bars are usually only used in road and track racing, and they got me some laughs around town. But they also got me out of the wind when I was high on the ridgeline, and they provided another comfortable position on the bike for those long days!”

—Cricket Butler, the Charlotte, N.C.-based Dirt Diva who was the only woman to finish the 30-day Tour Divide race in 2010, and is fresh off her second place finish in the 7-day Trans Rockies Stage Race in British Columbia.

Places to Go, Things to See: