Field-tested favorites for adventure travel – whether you’re traveling to the Andes or the Appalachians, make sure these items are in your pack.
1. Eagles’ Nest Outfitters Doublenest Hammock The ENO Doublenest Hammock is a more snuggly, comfy alternative to clunky chairs and pole tents. Just sling the hammock straps around a couple of trees, and your bed is ready. The DoubleNest’s high-strength nylon easily accommodates two people, perfect for a romantic cuddle under the stars. $60; eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com
2. Brunton Freedom Solar Recharger Traveling with tech gear? The Brunton Freedom Solar Battery captures enough solar power to charge and recharge the batteries of devices like GPS units, iPods, smartphones, and digital. Charge it in the car, from the laptop or via solar energy. If you’re away from the power outlet for a few days, make sure you have this in your pack. $55; brunton.com
3. Bowsers Eco-Tahoe and Eco-Futon Dog Beds The Eco-Tahoe uses eight inches of blown recycled fiber to fill this ultra-thick, super-soft rectangle bed. Its rugged design endured the abuse of an 85-pound dog for years without tearing or even staining. Its removable cover washes easily, and the handle makes it an ideal bed (for you or your dog) to throw in the back of the car or truck on an outdoor adventure. The Eco-Futon’s comfy, polar fleece is stuffed with super-loft recycled fiber, which stayed fluffy and unclumped. $95 Tahoe; $53 Futon; theuncommondog.com
4. Benchmade Griptilian 551 Knife This lightweight, easy-to-use stainless steel knife also offers one of the toughest, most durable folding blades available today. The blade uses an ambidextrous thumb stud to control the locking mechanism, making it extremely easy to flick the knife open with one hand. The affordable, durable Griptilian has long been the knife of choice for elite adventure travelers. $60; benchmade.com
5. Kleen Kanteen The 40-ounce bottle and cap are totally free of BPA and other toxins, and the flavor-free stainless steel is both durable and lightweight. It’s the healthiest and safest water bottle available, and it’s handcrafted to last a lifetime. Bonus: Klean Kanteen is a member of 1% for the Planet. $25; kleankanteen.com
6. SteriPen Adventurer Opti The SteriPen is the quickest, safest, and most travel-friendly option for adventure travelers. Whether in the backcountry or the bathroom of a dirty motel, the SteriPen provides clean water by sterilizing it with 48 seconds of ultraviolet light. The Adventurer Opti makes water purification easier than ever with its slim, ultralight design. $63; steripen.com