BEST SKI RUN
Snowshoe Mountain, W.Va.
Sawmill Glades is one of the newest trails at Snowshoe Mountain, offering official tree skiing for advanced skiers and boarders. The short black diamond on the southern end of the mountain takes skiers through a gladed area that has been thinned to create a more “Western” skiing experience.
2. Cliffhanger, Wintergreen, Va.
3. Cupp Run, Snowshoe Mountain, W.Va.
4. Devil’s Drop, Wisp, Md.
5. Oz Run, Beech Mountain, N.C.
6. Meadows, Canaan Valley, W.Va.
7. Little Dipper/Big Dipper, Wisp. Md.
8. Salamander, Timberline, W.Va.
9. The Bowl, Wolf Ridge, N.C.
10. Paradice, Massanutten, Va.
FAVORITE SKI RESORT
Canaan Valley, West Virginia
Canaan Valley offers everything from long beginner friendly cruisers, to intermediate bowls, to advanced glades. Skiers can access miles of backcountry trails from the top of the mountain via a one-way lift ticket.
2. Snowshoe Mountain, W.Va.
3. Wisp, Md.
4. Wintergreen, Va.
5. Timberline, W.Va.
6. Appalachian Ski Mountain, N.C.
7. Winterplace, W.Va.
8. Massanutten, Va.
9. Beech Mountain, N.C., http://basecamp.blueridgeoutdoors.com/?p=2578
10. White Grass, W.Va.
Freestyle Blue Ridge Double Cross
Wintergreen Resort, Va.
Freestyle’s Blue Ridge Double Cross brings X-Games style downhill skiing and boarding to the Southeast. Skiers and boarders race down a slope packed with terrain park features. Fastest to the bottom wins.
2. USASA Mason Dixon Series, Va., Md., Penn.
3. Thunder on the Mountain, Massanutten, Va.
4. West Virginia Open, Snowshoe Mountain, W.Va.
5. Cupp Run Challenge, Snowshoe Mountain, W.Va.
6. Shred for the Cup, Appalachian Mountain, N.C.
7. Wolf Ridge Slopestyle Competition, Ski Wolf Ridge, N.C.
8. Snowshoe 24, Snowshoe Mountain, W.Va.
9. Glass and Powder Slopestyle, Wintergreen, Va.
10. Richard T. Trundy Memorial Sugar Cup, Sugar Mountain, N.C.
BEST TERRAIN PARK
Mountaineer Terrain Park
Silver Creek, W.Va.
Mountaineer, located on the often-overlooked Silver Creek Resort adjacent to Snowshoe, is designed for intermediate skiers and boarders looking to advance their park skills. Mountaineer isn’t as crowded as the parks at Snowshoe, so it has a more relaxed feel.
2. App Terrain Park, Appalachian Mountain, N.C.
3. Spruce Glades Terrain Park, Snowshoe Mountain, W.Va.
4. Pro Park, Wisp, M.D.
5. CMB Terrain Park, Massanutten Resort, Va.
6. Jib Junction Terrain Park, Timberline Resort, W.Va.
7. Wintergreen Terrain Park, Wintergreen Resort, Va.
8. Powder Monkey Terrain Garden, Snowshoe Mountain, W.Va.
9. Winterplace Terrain Park, Winterplace, W.Va.
10. Park Place, Wolf Ridge, N.C
Cataloochee Ski Resort
While our federal government was still debating the scientific merits of global warming, Cataloochee Ski Resort was already pledging to do something about it. Cataloochee was the first ski resort in the Southeast to join the Keep Winter Cool campaign, a coalition of ski resorts dedicated to altering mountain practices and supporting legislation in order to address global warming.