America’s Toughest Road Marathon™ isn’t a challenge for the weak-willed. It takes grit, determination and plenty of training hours to accomplish this bucket-list race, but a little help from your friends goes a long way.
There are a couple of ways to tackle this race with your buds.
Option 1-Create a four-person relay team and split the epic 26.2 mile course into four, more manageable sections. The hardest part is figuring out which runners will tackle which sections of the course. Here’s the quick breakdown:
- Runner #1: The leadoff runner will tally 6.2 miles, including Mill Mountain.
- Runner #2: The “beast leg” includes 9.1 miles, including the Roanoke Mountain Loop along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Runner #3: The leg includes the notorious Peakwood Mountain; it’s not the longest leg at 6.1 miles, but is pretty darn tough.
- Runner #4: The final runner will bring it home with 4.8 miles through South Roanoke neighborhoods and downtown Roanoke.
Option 2-Create a team that runs one or more of the distances together. If you have a larger crowd (5+) like a club or running group then you may also be eligible for a TON of perks.
It’s free to start a team, and every team will have their team name printed on their race bibs. There are three additional levels of benefits.
- Level One Benefits: Welcome Package (stickers, captain hat, & swag) and Eligible to Win Team Spirit Award
- Level Two Benefits: Two Free VIP Tickets, Eligible for Free Entries (1 per 10 team members)
- Level Three Benefits: One Free Beer Ticket Per Team Member and Early Check-In
Whether you want to run as a team, do the relay, or not….there are plenty of challenges to help you take part in the Foot Levelers Blue Ridge Marathon race weekend. Race options include:
- Foot Levelers Blue Ridge Marathon: 26.2 miles of mountains, including 7,430 feet of elevation change
- Foot Levelers Half Marathon: 13.1 miles of mountains with, 3,790 feet of elevation change
- Blue Ridge Double Marathon: Two laps around America’s Toughest Road Marathon course – 52.4 miles – and it is sold out (watch for the double crew as they start Lap 2 with the rest of the pack)
- Anthem Star 10K: The popular option includes 6.2 miles up Mill Mountain and back down the old toll road
- Carilion Children’s Family 1-Miler: A fun run for any ability or age that starts allows participants to cross the official Blue Ridge Marathon finish line
Foot Levelers Blue Ridge Marathon Races
- When: Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 7:35 a.m.
- Where: Roanoke, VA
- Why: 100% Non-profit race on a beautiful & challenging course
- Register: Online