It’s a brand new year! Here we go again! Trail Mix is back again with the same resolution as always; to turn you on to the best roots music we can find and share with you each and every month!
Years ago, I caught Drive-By Truckers at the Haymaker Music Festival near Fredericksburg. I didn’t get it. I didn’t dig it. And then I heard Brighter Than Creation’s Dark and I was a changed man. I have been following these purveyors of socially conscious Southern rock avidly ever since. Later this month, the Truckers return with their latest release, The Unraveling, and Trail Mix is happy to feature “Armageddon’s Back In Town” here.
Drew Carman, half of the duo The Corduroy Road, one of my all time favorite bands from Athens, Georgia, is also back with brand new music. Since The Corduroy Road dissolved a few years back, Drew has moved to Austin, Texas, and this month returns with Carman A.D., an EP I have been anticipating for quite some time. If you happen to be in or around Austin this week, be sure to take in the EP release party. So glad the Drew is back and making music again.
Another interesting tune on this edition of the mix is Lord Invader’s “Auf Wiedersehen.” Lord Invader’s Calypso Travels, from which this tune comes, was initially released in the early 1960s. His album, along with two others featuring African folk music, are being released for the first time on vinyl since their initial pressings by Smithsonian Folkways. If you are a fan of world music, I highly suggest digging into these rereleases.
Be sure to check out new music from other old friends of Trail Mix, including G. Love & Special Sauce, Futurebirds, Hawktail, Marcus King, The Lil Smokies, Fruition, Dustbowl Revival, Moon Hooch, and The Wood Brothers.
And this month’s edition of Trail Mix also welcomes some new friends. Check out the brand new tunes from Vance Gilbert, Ruark, Witch’s Wall, Tom Breiding, Dallas Burrow, John Dennis, Wood Belly, and Nick Pagliari.
It’s my hope that you long time fans of Trail Mix have discovered a new artist – or lots of new artists – and have gotten out there to track down a record or catch one of those new bands live. If you haven’t, or if you are brand new to Trail Mix, make that your own personal resolution for 2020. Buy this music and support the artists who share their music with you each month on Trail Mix.
- Nonphysical Moon Hooch 4:32
- The Juice (ft. Marcus King) G. Love & Special Sauce 3:07
- Say You Will Marcus King 3:55
- Runaway Dustbowl Revival 4:32
- Little Bit Sweet The Wood Brothers 3:48
- Armageddon's Back in Town Drive-By Truckers 3:49
- Crazy Boys Futurebirds 4:16
- Good Good Man Vance Gilbert 4:48
- Dandelion Hawktail 5:17
- 03 World's On Fire The Lil Smokies 3:57
- Changed Carman AD 5:22
- Guitar Man Dallas Burrow 2:19
- Lady Love Witch's Wall 4:42
- Love Commits Me Here Tom Breiding 2:46
- Dawn Fruition 3:17
- Good Good Love John Dennis 7:21
- Auf Wiedersehen Lord Invader 2:30
- Ride The River Nick Pagliari 4:22
- When You Coming Home Ruark 2:17
- Can't Get Behind Wood Belly 3:34