I have to imagine that every songwriter yearns to pen a song that becomes a part of the American songbook.
That song that, some twenty or thirty or fifty years later, still resonates with listeners old and new. Marc Cohn did just that in 1991 with his monster hit “Walking in Memphis.” Nearly thirty years later, I don’t know many fans of contemporary American music who don’t belt out that seminal line – “Ma’am, I am tonight!” – with gusto.
The August mix showcases a new song that developed from a collaboration between the soulful Cohn and gospel legends The Blind Boys of Alabama. These collection of musical icons set out to record a few songs for an EP that quickly evolved into a long player. Check out “Work To Do” on this month’s mix.
August also sees Trail Mix welcoming back some old friends. Check out new tunes from blues great Bobby Rush, Eilen Jewell, and Matthew Squires.
Trail Mix newcomers include Jason Hawk Harris, Chris & Adam Carroll, Ben Davis Jr., Bill Bloomer, L.A. Edwards, Jesse Dayton, James Steinle, Ian Ferguson, Humbird, Frank Turner, Frog, Nocturnal Blonde, and Paul Jacks. Dig into the new tunes each of these great artists has to offer.
And stay tuned to the Trail Mix blog. Chats with Che Apache and Davina & The Vagabonds are headed your way.
Each month, twenty or so tunes are all yours for the listening. As always, I implore you to get out and buy some records or some concert tickets. Spread the word. Go see these great musicians live. Give back to them and appreciate them for giving their music to Trail Mix.
- Work To Do Marc Cohn & Blind Boys of Alabama 3:42
- Hi-Fi Love Chris & Adam Carroll 4:16
- Redneck Friend Jesse Dayton 3:59
- Reign Over Me L.A. Edwards 3:05
- Earthly Sensations Bill Bloomer 5:07
- Devil Horns Davina and The Vagabonds 3:28
- Strange Day Matthew Squires 3:18
- I'm Afraid Jason Hawk Harris 3:52
- It's Something I Do Frog 3:09
- Rearrange My Heart Che Apalache 4:11
- Line Boat Blues (featuring David Childers) Ben Davis Jr. 3:21
- Still Gushing Nocturnal Blonde 2:29
- 79 Cents (The Meow Song) Eilen Jewell 2:59
- Good Life On The Plains James Steinle 4:47
- Recipe for Love Bobby Rush 4:45
- Sea Shells Humbird 3:43
- Sister Rosetta Frank Turner 3:49
- State of Gold Ian Ferguson 4:01
- Too Emotional Paul Jacks 3:03