Oklahoma singer/songwriter John Moreland digs deep on his latest release.
Some tunes are just hell on my solar plexus.
“You Don’t Care For Me Enough To Cry,” the first tune I heard from High On Tulsa Heat, the brand new record from Oklahoma singer/songwriter John Moreland, is one of those tunes. Moreland, with his hacksaw growl, subtle guitar work, and knack for lyrics that pummel my midriff, has had me fascinated for days. I can’t get enough of the new record, and each spin brings to the forefront another turn of phrase that floors me. With comparisons to the likes of Jason Isbell and Guy Clark, don’t be surprised when John Moreland is on the lips of Americana fans everywhere talking about the next great songwriter.
Another newly discovered favorite showcased this month is “3 Shots,” from Hollis Brown. This NYC outfit was recently given the daunting challenge – and incredible honor – of finishing a Bo Diddley tune by The Bo Diddley Estate. The end result of their efforts was “Rain Dance,” which is featured on 3 Shots, which releases this week.
A couple months ago, I mentioned here in a blog post that I have rediscovered vinyl and have begun accumulating records at an obsessive pace. One of the jazz greats that I have discovered is Wes Montgomery. This month, Resonance Records is releasing a two disc retrospective, In The Beginning, featuring recordings from 1949 through 1958. Trail Mix has “A Night In Tunisia” featured this month . . . . and while it sounds fantastic on disc, you can bet that I can’t wait to hear it on vinyl.
Also featured this month are some old favorites. Trail Mix is happy to welcome back Jimbo Mathus, Otis Taylor, and Ray Wylie Hubbard.
Be sure to check out brand new tunes from The Lonesome Band, Major & The Monbacks, Todd Grebe & Cold Country, Torres, Whitewash, The Deer Run Drifters, Ancient River, Leaf Rapids, Jimmy Lafave, and stay tuned to the Trail Mix blog. I have chats with Charlie Parr, The London Souls, Corbin Hayslett, and Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers queued up for your perusal.
Share the word about Trail Mix. Give us a tweet. Take a picture of yourself groovin’ to a new tune and drop it on Instagram. And, as always, make sure you get out and buy some of these records. Help support these great artists who let us share their music through Trail Mix.
- Air Running Backwards Chandler Travis, the Chandler Travis Philharmonic, & Three-O, the Incredible Casuals, the Catbirds, and Rabbit Rabbit 3:55
- Shoot Out The Lights (Shoot Out The Lights) Jimbo Mathus 3:32
- This Is The Time Ancient River 4:45
- When I'm with You The London Souls 3:47
- 3 Shots Hollis Brown 3:41
- Somedays Major And The Monbacks 3:25
- Night In Tunisia Wes Montgomery & The Motgomery - Johnson Quintet 5:18
- Heart Is a Muscle Used to Play the Blues Otis Taylor 4:08
- I'm An Idiot Dustin Lovelis 3:18
- Member Whitewash 3:15
- Chick Singer, Badass Rockin' Ray Wylie Hubbard 2:55
- Ain't That Fine Todd Grebe & Cold Country 2:57
- Griggstown The Grahams 3:39
- Holy People Dana Sipos 4:25
- Make 'Em Dance The Lonesome Band 3:13
- Galaxie 500 Leaf Rapids 3:43
- Together Ryan Montbleau Band 3:32
- Dust Bowl Okies Jimmy Lafave 4:38
- My Love, My Love Nneka 3:32
- Restless Youth The Deer Run Drifters 4:24
- Waiting On Love Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers 2:49
- You Don't Care For Me Enough To Cry John Moreland 4:15
- Ran Ran Run Pavo Pavo 3:57
- Sprinter Torres 4:45
- Reflections Django Django 4:20
- Eighteen Fifty-Five Heather Maloney 4:22