In November, we give thanks for many things. Family and friends. Mountain views and pristine waterfalls. A river to paddle and a trail to ride. Turkey and dressing and college football.
And music. We give thanks for music. Specifically, right here on Trail Mix, as we are back at it with another fantastic collection of tunes.
This month, we kick things off a little differently. While we strive for diversity on Trail Mix, we are best known for featuring top notch Americana. We typically kick each month with something in the bluegrass, folk rock, or alt-country vein. This month, though, we have taken a bit of an electronic detour. Beats Antique have long been known for their trippy, energetic live shows. This Northern California-based trio draws on a wide range of influences – gypsy jazz, afrobeat, and flamenco, to name a few – to create their own blend of electronic folk. We lead November off with “Overture,” from A Thousand Faces: Act 1, the first half of a two disc rock opera project. These guys are a welcome diversion from our typical rootsy fare.
Jesse Cobb, former mandolin player for The Infamous Stringdusters, is poised to release his first solo record this month and we are happy to have “Solitude” included in this month’s mix. Be sure to check out “Lonely Town,” from If Birds Could Fly, who hail from Virginia’s coal country. Is Brittany Carter the next great female Americana voice? Could be, and if pans out that way, we’d like you to say that you heard of her here first!
November also features some of our tried and true favorite artists. Check out brand new tunes from Keller Williams, Scott Miller, Scott Law, Trampled By Turtles, Julie Lee, Todd Grebe & Cold Country, and The Deep Dark Woods.
Of course, we aren’t done yet. There is still plenty more free music to check out. Lately, we have been burning up the new Jesse Terry disc. Check out “Feel That Way Again” and stay tuned for a blog entry later this month. As always, share and stream. Bring Trail Mix with you on your next outdoor adventure. Play these tunes while you cooking for your Thanksgiving shindig. And remember to get out and buy some of these records. These artists will certainly give their thanks to you.
- Beats Antique – Overture
- Andy Statman – The French Press
- Blood Washed Band – Driftin’ Along
- Buffalo Clover – Truthfullness
- Greg Trooper – The Land of No Forgiveness
- If Birds Could Fly – Lonely Town
- Jared Bartman – Garden Gate
- Jesse Cobb – Solitude
- Jesse Terry – Feel That Way Again
- Jonathan Warren & The Billy Goats – Greyhound
- Julie Lee – Too Far Gone
- Keller Williams & More Than A Little – Let’s Jam
- Le Trouble – Mission Bell
- Miss Tess & The Talk Backs – Sorry You’re Sick
- Scott Law – Five Pines
- Scott Miller – Freight Train Heart: Stonewall Love
- SmokeStack & The Foothill Fury – Conquer the World With You
- Steve Poltz – Song for Hawk
- The Deep Dark Woods – 18th of December
- Todd Grebe & Cold Country – Nothing Left To Lose
- Trampled By Turtles – Codeine