The Turnpike Troubadours highlight another tasty collection of tunes on this month’s Trail Mix.
The only thing in Oklahoma hotter than The Turnpike Troubadours is the interstate asphalt that takes this quintet down to Texas, where they have established themselves as one of the hottest musical acts to catch in the Lone Star State.
And the buzz is growing. After a run of dates to celebrate the release of their eponymous debut record this month, the band heads east in October, with shows in Alabama, Georgia, Virginia, and North Carolina on tap.
To hear what the buzz is about, take listen to “The Mercury” on this month’s mix.
Trail Mix is also excited to feature a track from Anton Fig, the long time drummer for David Letterman’s house band. On the groovy “Inside Out,” Fig is joined by longtime R&B icon Aaron Neville.
This month’s mix also provided me a moment of time travel, so to speak, as Poi Dog Pondering, a band whose handbills I used to find stapled to telephone poles across campus during my undergrad years in the early 1990s, has returned with a brand new record. Perhaps “returned” is the wrong word, as they never really left. The band did slip off my radar for much of the last twenty years, though, and “All Saints Ascension,” from the band’s new record, has made for a most pleasant reunion.
Another score for the September edition of Trail Mix was grabbing a track from the brand new release from Craig Finn, lead singer of The Hold Steady. Finn’s new record drops on September 11th and Trail Mix is happy to feature “Maggie, I’ve Been Searching For Our Son.”
Also featured this month are Los Colognes, Kinsey, John Ellis & Double Wide, Holly Golightly, Pugwash, Mocean Worker, Slim Twig, The California Honeydrops, Barrence Whitfield & The Savages, and many, many more.
The Trail Mix blog has some great stuff coming this month. Next week, we’ll hear from Steep Canyon Rangers about Mountain Song, the band’s yearly festival that celebrates its tenth anniversary next weekend. Also on tap are chats with Lucero, John Mark Nelson, and Ben Gilmer.
The September mix comes in at over thirty tracks and two hours of music. Enjoy it. Play it loud. Spread the word about an artist or two you dig to a friend.
And, as always, get out there and support these artists who are giving Trail Mix music to share with you. Catch them live. Buy a record or two. They will appreciate it.
Photo by Justin Voight.
- Tastes Like Hard Love Ben Gilmer 4:44
- Young Man Two-Thirds Goat 5:01
- The Mercury The Turnpike Troubadours 3:43
- Dear Heloise Tommy Keene 2:15
- Guitar Child Tom Chapin 3:40
- Who Says Dreams Don't Come True The Karpinka Brothers 2:58
- By Your Side Tedo Stone 3:20
- Middle Ground Superhuman Happiness 5:58
- Radio Steep Canyon Rangers 3:28
- Slippin' Slidin' Slim Twig 2:33
- Dead In The Water Randall Bramblett 4:23
- Kicking And Screaming Pugwash 3:20
- All Saints Ascension Poi Dog Pondering 4:29
- Pink Lemonade Monogold 3:14
- Soul Swing Mocean Worker 4:47
- The Gold Standard Marrow 5:53
- Went Looking for Warren Zevon's Los Angeles Lucero 4:29
- Baby, You Can't Have Both Los Colognes 3:17
- Wide Awake Kinsey 4:39
- Dream Last Night John Mark Nelson 4:02
- Booker John Ellis & Double-Wide 4:35
- Turn On (The Radio) Jason Heath & The Greedy Souls 3:56
- Up of Stairs James Elkington & Nathan Salsburg 3:49
- Tetherball Triumph Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey 4:20
- Seven Wonders Holly Golightly 2:47
- Pictures on Pictures GUIDES 3:27
- Hana Glenn Mercer 1:59
- Maggie I've Been Searching For Our Son Craig Finn 4:03
- Sad Heart of Mine Caspian 4:27
- Jolie The California Honeydrops 3:49
- Slow Rider Bridget Kearney & Benjamin Lazar Davis 5:28
- Brown Bird The Blackbery Bushes Stringband 3:53
- Incarceration Casserole Barrence Whitfield & The Savages 3:08
- Inside Out Anton Fig 4:29