Willie Watson just might be my favorite Americana troubadour.
From the earliest days of Old Crow Medicine Show through his first solo record, 2014’s Folksinger Vol. 1, Watson’s voice and the attention and respect to the past so readily apparent in his music has always struck a chord within me.
This month, Watson returns with his second solo record, aptly titled Folksinger Vol. 2. As is his way, Watson digs deep into the seams of Americana history, assembling a collection of songs that resonate with the earliest sounds of American music. Though there are no originals on the new record, Watson takes these old songs – some you might have heard and some undoubtedly new to you – and makes them his own. After a couple listens, you’ll have no problem hearing Watson in a pickin’ party with the likes of Woody Guthrie, Jimmie Rodgers, Lightin’ Hopkins, or any one of the many iconic musicians who have created the sonic melting pot that is Americana music.
Listen to Watson’s take on the venerable “Samson & Delilah,” featuring the famed Fairfield Four, this month.
Trail Mix is also happy to welcome back two of our long time friends and favorites in Josh Ritter and Charlie Parr. Ritter, long known for his emotive and introspective storytelling, and Parr, whose raspy voice and approach to old time music is virtually unparalleled, both have new records out this month, and the mix is thrilled to feature tracks from each.
There are also great new tracks from Penny & Sparrow, Jesse Terry, Nick Mulvey, Liquid Monk, Eilen Jewell, decker, Jon Langford’s Four Lost Souls, Humbird, The Texas Gentlemen, Brian Lisik & The Unfortunates, Brad Petersen, Ephrata, Flamin’ Groovies, Action Skulls, and Sarah Lou Richards in the mix. Be sure to dig deep and enjoy!
Lots of good stuff coming your way on this month’s Trail Mix blog, too. Chats with Boo Ray, The Freeway Revival, and Rain Perry are on tap, as is a preview of this weekend’s Jenny Hiatt show at Isis Music Hall.
And get out there and buy some of this music. Get out there and buy some concert tickets. Give back to these great artists you discover here on Trail Mix.
*Please note that the download file has not yet been updated. But fret not! It will be soon!
- Woken The Wildflowers Jesse Terry 3:45
- Unconditional Nick Mulvey 3:45
- Showboat JOSH RITTER 4:23
- Sea of Lights Boo Ray 4:00
- Goodbye The Freeway Revival 6:11
- Feudal Nights Brian Lisik & The Unfortunates 2:43
- Double Heart Penny and Sparrow 3:37
- Treasure Sarah Lou Richards 4:30
- I Ain't Dead Yet Charlie Parr 3:35
- Fish Out Of Water Jon Langford 3:52
- Leave A Light On Humbird 3:15
- Unbroken Brad Peterson 2:57
- Tunguska Ephrata 3:12
- Pain The Texas Gentlemen 3:39
- What The Hell's Goin' On The Flamin' Groovies 4:43
- Samson And Delilah Willie Watson 3:03
- Mainstream Action Skulls 3:46
- It's Your Voodoo Working Eilen Jewell 3:01
- Hollywood (feat. Jaye Prime) Liquid Monk 3:34
- 01 Matchstick Man decker. 4:11