Close this search box.

Outdoor Updates: Man suffers severe burns after falling in thermal waters near Old Faithful

Man suffers severe burns after falling in thermal waters near Old Faithful 

A 48-year-old man is being treated for severe burns after falling into thermal water in Yellowstone National Park near the cone of Old Faithful Geyser. The National Park Service announced in a press release Monday that park rangers and paramedics responded to a call from the Old Faithful Inn around midnight on Sunday, September 29 by Cade Edmond Siemers, a U.S. citizen living in India. Siemers told authorities that he had taken a walk-off of the boardwalk and tripped, falling into a hot spring. First responders found evidence of alcohol use.

Bad weather prevented the use of a life flight helicopter so Siemers was taken by ambulance to West Yellowstone Airport and then flown by fixed-wing plane to Idaho Falls and admitted into the Burn Center of Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center. The investigation into the incident is ongoing and results will be forwarded to the United States Attorney’s Office. The ground around Old Faithful is closed to the public. Anyone damaging the geyser cone could be prosecuted. 

Virginia teen in critical condition after bike is struck by school bus

A teen cyclist in Shenandoah County, Va is in critical condition after being struck from behind by the side mirror of a Shenandoah County Public Schools bus on Tuesday. The bus was attempting to pass the cyclist when it knocked the 16-year-old to the ground. The teen was wearing dark clothing and did not have on a helmet.

The name of the injured teen has not been released but he is from Fort Valley, VA. He was taken to Winchester Medical Center for treatment. The school bus driver, a 76-year-old woman, was uninjured. There were no children on the bus at the time of the incident. 

A trail runner is dead after being struck by lightning during a race

An ultrarunner competing in the FlatRock 50K near Independence, Kansas was struck and killed by lightning on Saturday, race organizers announced on their Facebook page. Thomas Stanley, 33, was running on a paved section of trail just feet from the finish line when a fast-moving storm rolled into the area producing lightning, which struck Stanley. Other runners and race officials administered CPR but Stanley could not be revived. 

The runner leaves behind a wife and three young children. In a statement released by his family, Stanley was described as living a “beautiful life, one marked by compassion and joy.” 

Share this post:

Discover more in the Blue Ridge:

Join our newsletter!

Subscribe to receive the latest from Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine sent directly to your inbox.