I’d love to tell you to grab this month’s Trail Mix, slap it into your iPod, and head for a hike or bike ride on some green trailway near you, but I’ll be damned if Mother Nature isn’t just stone drunk. If you’re like me, you look at the weather forecast with a skeptical eye, with absolutely no assurance of what tomorrow might bring. Snow? Sure! 70 degrees the next day? Why not!!
One thing you can be sure of is the epicness of this month’s Trail Mix. It’s big. Nearly thirty tracks of roots music goodness. The April mix opens with a track from The String Cheese Incident, who return with Song In My Head, the band’s first full length record in nine years. Trail Mix is stoked to include the title track from the record this month.
April’s mix is also rich with some of the best songwriters you might have heard of, along with a slew you might have missed so far. You should know guys like Bobby Bare, Jr., who returns with his Young Criminals’ Starvation League, and the mix also features the new cuts from Kathy Kallick, Will Kimbrough and Luther Dickinson. Be sure to check out tracks from newcomers like Nathaniel Rateliff, Sam Morrow, A.J. Ellis, and Bradford Lee Folk.
Like the blues? Trail Mix has you covered with Bobby Rush & Dr. John’s new tune, and be sure to check out the new one from Ray Bonneville.
Like a little rockabilly country? Check out Moot Davis.
Maybe you are a child of the 80s? Check out the retro pop vibe of Eternal Summers, who are also featured in the print magazine this month.
Big fan of ridiculous acoustic shredding? You definitely need to hear the new one from The Infamous Stringdusters, who release their new record, Let It Go, this month. The mix also features new tracks from guitar whiz Bryan Sutton and fiddler extraordinaire Darol Anger.
And that’s just the start. There’s a whole lot more. Dig in. Check it out. Share with your friends and on your favorite social network. And, as always, be sure to buy a few of these records. Download them. Buy some vinyl. Just help us support these great artists who are so willing to support Trail Mix.
Speaking of supporting Trail Mix, I need to give a big shout out to the good folks at Rooster Walk Music & Arts Festival, one of Virginia’s finest music festivals, for sponsoring this month’s mix. Rooster Walk takes place in late May, and the line up is hot. For more information, check out their website at www.roosterwalk.com, and look forward to May’s mix, which will feature all Rooster Walk artists.
- String Cheese Incident – Song In My Head
- A.J. Ellis – Stand Up
- Bobby Bare Jr.’s Young Criminals’ Starvation League – North of Alabama By Mornin’
- Bobby Rush with Dr. John & Blinddog Smokin’ – Stand Back
- Bradford Lee Folk – The Wood Swan
- Bryan Sutton – Log Jam
- Curtis Harding – Keep On Shining
- Darol Anger – The Denver Belle.mp3
- Eternal Summers – Gouge
- Greg Smith & The Broken English – Losing Hand
- Hamell on Trial – Together
- Heather Maloney & Darlingside – Woodstock
- Japanther – Do It
- Jonny Two Bags – One Foot In The Gutter
- Kathy Kallick – Time Traveler’s Wife
- Lost & Nameless – Empty Spaces
- Luther Dickinson – Vandalize
- Moot Davis – Love Hangover
- Nathaniel Rateliff – When Do You See
- Ray Bonneville – Love Is Wicked
- Sam Morrow – Old Soul
- Tattletale Saints – Complicated Man
- The Infamous Stringdusters – Let It Go
- The Iveys – Jenna’s Song
- The War On Drugs – Red Eyes
- Will Kimbrough – Sideshow Love