It’s like deja vu all over again.
As an adolescent, I used to run panicked to the turntable to pluck the needle from the vinyl during the most personal of ruminations on Violent Femmes’ “Add It Up.” You forty-somethings out there know of what I speak. That one line. Not something I could risk my parents hearing.
Now, as a 46 year old dad with two kids under twelve in the house, I am doing that same sprint, only for different reasons.
In the mid-eighties, Violent Femmes were my introduction to punk rock. While I never became a huge fan of the genre, their seminal self-titled debut garnered much time on my turntable. Violent Femmes – featuring founding members Brian Ritchie and Gordon Gano, along with drummer John Sparrow – return this month with a brand new record, Hotel Last Resort. The band might be older and wiser, but they certainly haven’t lost their edge, and Trail Mix is happy to feature “Another Chorus” from the new release this month.
Featured this month are also tracks from the legendary Steve Goodman and old friends like The Steel Wheels, Amanda Anne Platt & The Honeycutters, Chris Stamey, Grant Farm, and The Hackensaw Boys.
Trail Mix also welcomes for the first time Michael Paul Lawson, Tui, Ben Winship, Jaco, Robert Laroche, Tim Mahoney, Mark Cline Bates, SPAGA, Giri & Uma Peters, Nicholas Altobelli, and Wylder.
Be sure to check out tracks from all of these great artists, and keep your eyes peeled for chats with Chuck Hawthorne and Rob Piccolt on this month’s Trail Mix blog.
And, as always, be sure to get out there and buy some music from the artists who are sharing their efforts with us this month. Grab a record or two. Buy a concert ticket. Spread the word about these incredible musicians who keep Trail Mix in business each and every month.
- Creed SPAGA 4:37
- Ghost Rod Picott 3:47
- Manhattan Melody (That’s My New York) (featuring Django Haskins with Branford Marsalis) Chris Stamey And The ModRec Orchestra 4:17
- Memories and Throttle Michael Paul Lawson 3:49
- Drawn To You Robert LaRoche 3:18
- Second Chance Tim Mahoney 3:30
- Old Aunt Jessie Get Up In The Cool Tui 3:52
- Shoe Jaco 4:12
- Highway Signs Mark Cline Bates 2:53
- Wheels Amanda Anne Platt The Honeycutters 3:55
- Go Cubs Go (WGN Radio's Cubs Theme) [Bonus Track] Steve Goodman with Chicago Cubs Chorus 2:54
- Another Chorus Violent Femmes 2:38
- Katy Bar the Door Ben Winship 3:28
- Late Night Kitchen Hackensaw Boys 3:32
- Morning Train Grant Farm 4:00
- Odd Numbers Nicholas Altobelli 3:11
- Such Is Life (C'est La Vie) Chuck Hawthorne 3:42
- The Cuckoo Giri & Uma Peters 3:31
- The Lake Wylder 3:53
- Waiting In The Dark The Steel Wheels 4:41