Any month that features a track from guitar alchemist Keller Williams is a good month.
Williams is back with yet another single syllable record this month – Sans – but, even for Williams, this record is a departure. As the title suggests, there is a “without-ness” to this record. In this case, it’s lyrics. This eight track instrumental collection simply continues Williams decades long resistance to being pigeonholed or categorized. Trail Mix offers up “Fat B” as proof positive that Keller and his guitar are always absolutely enough.
Martha Scanlan returns this month with a brand new record. Fans in Northeast Tennessee and around the Southeast remember Scanlan as part of The Reeltime Travelers. Scanlan, who now calls Montana home, releases The River And The Light, a collection of songs that reflect the meeting point of Montana’s endless vistas with the Appalachian’s deepest roots, on October 19th. Check out “Revival” on this month’s mix.
This month is also all about new beginnings. Lauren Morrow, known for years as the singer for The Whiskey Gentry, is back with a brand new solo EP. A move to Nashville with her husband, Jason, has led to a new band and a new sound. Trail Mix is happy to feature “I Don’t Think About You At All” this month.
As you dig in, you’ll find awesome stuff from long time Trail Mix friends Sarah Borges, Paul Kelly, Town Mountain, The Earls of Leicester, Buxton, Hymn For Her, Rev. Peyton’s Big Damn Band, Whitey Morgan & The 78s, and Gregory Alan Isakov.
And check out new cuts from Trail Mix newcomers Alberta, Jim Clements, Phillipe Bronchtein, Jon Hatchett, The Jellyman’s Daughter, and Jim Wyly.
Coming your way on the Trail Mix blog this month are chats with J.P. Harris and Bryan Elijah Smith, along with a premiere of a brand new tune from Colorado based singer/songwriter Jeff Cramer.
Do yourself a favor. Get out there and buy some of this music. Support the incredible artists who, month in and month out, make Trail Mix so great.
- Poor Until Payday The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band 3:53
- I Don't Think About You At All Lauren Morrow 4:23
- Fat B Keller Williams 5:42
- Chemicals Gregory Alan Isakov 3:20
- Sink (Like A Stone) Bryan Elijah Smith 3:21
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion Paul Kelly 2:27
- Down Low Town Mountain 4:37
- Revival Martha Scanlan 3:58
- Jay Walk'n Alberta 4:01
- Nobody Lights My Heart Like You Jim Wyly 2:57
- When I Quit Drinking JP Harris 3:57
- : Oh Boy The Jellyman's Daughter 4:05
- Not a Lot of Blood Jim Clements 4:39
- Another Night Gone Wrong Jon Hatchett Band 3:09
- Me And The Moon Phillipe Bronchtein 4:20
- House On A Hill Sarah Borges 3:27
- Blue Balloons Hymn for Her 3:08
- Earl's Breakdown The Earls Of Leicester 2:24
- Honky Tonk Hell Whitey Morgan & the 78's 3:58
- Jan Buxton 3:25