Back in January, before the world fell apart, Drive-By Truckers kicked off 2020 with a brand new record. Fittingly, it was titled The Unraveling, though that title was inspired more by the current political and social climate than any potential havoc about to be visited upon us by a global pandemic. As the year comes to a close, it’s perfect, then, that these Alabama rockers end 2020 with the release of a surprise record, The New OK, which drops next week.
Initially envisioned as an EP, tracks were passed between band members and, eventually, an LP was in the works. The Truckers’ collective eye for tackling tough social issues is readily apparent; political and social unrest provide much inspiration for the tracks. But there’s a sense of optimism on the record, too, spotlighting the notion that we, as a nation, are better than the tough times we have been wandering through. Trail Mix is excited to feature the title track, “The New OK, this month.
Appearing on Trail Mix are also some of my favorite songwriters. Included this month is one of the final songs recorded by noted guitarist/songwriter Neal Casal, who we lost entirely too early in 2019. Oliver Wood, of The Wood Brothers, appears with his first ever solo single, and Matthew Sweet returns with brand new music. Finally, Jeffrey Foucault is back with a set of previously unreleased songs, Deadstock, that he has collected over the last fifteen years.
And a December edition of Trail Mix wouldn’t be complete without some Christmas tunes. Check out the holiday offerings from The Infamous Stringdusters, Eric Brace & Last Train Home, Andrew Scotchie, Blake Miller & Amelia Biere, Jon Patrick Walker, and Patrick Mangan.
Round out your listen by digging into tunes from Evan Troop, Leslie Mendelssohn, Yosh & Yimmy, Shinyribs, Alabama Slim, Carly Johnson, George Shingleton, Garret Wieland, and Call Me Spinster.
So much good music on Trail Mix this month. Looking for a last minute gift for that music lover in your life? Seek out some of these records and drop them under the tree or into the stocking. Support these great artists that we are lucky to showcase each month.
This edition of Trail Mix brings this year to a close. It’s been a tough one. But I hope that the music these artists provide each month on the mix brought some amount of joy to all of you out there. And, as we prepare to bid a welcome farewell to 2020, trust that good times are just around the corner in 2021. I feel it in my bones. More great music, more adventures, and – most importantly – a return to normal. Trail Mix looks forward to being right there beside through it all, providing a soundtrack for you. Thanks for listening this year. Have a great holiday season, a tremendous New Year, and we’ll catch up with a brand new set of tunes in a brand new year really soon.
- Mesa, Arizona Jeffrey Foucault 4:31
- All I Want For Christmas Blake Miller & Amelia Biere 2:55
- Bitch Better Have My Money Shinyribs 3:54
- Gone Evan Troop 3:18
- Happy Xmas in the Edge Times! (2020) Jon Patrick Walker 2:55
- The Frost Is All Over / Christmas Eve / Maude Miller feat. Steve Holloway & Declan Masterson Patrick Mangan 4:51
- The New OK Drive-By Truckers 4:26
- My First Christmas Without You Andrew Scotchie 5:39
- The Believer Carly Johnson 4:13
- Two Hearts Call Me Spinster 2:18
- Forty Jive Alabama Slim 2:01
- Have a Good Time George Shingleton 3:31
- At A Loss Matthew Sweet 3:36
- By The Lights On The Tree Eric Brace & Last Train Home 4:41
- Devotion Garrett Wieland 4:04
- Everything is Moving Neal Casal 4:17
- Head And Heart Leslie Mendelssohn 3:01
- Jingle Bells The Infamous Stringdusters 2:34
- Soul of This Town Oliver Wood 4:05
- The World Is Sound Asleep Yosh & Yimmy 4:53