83 years young blues man Leo “Bud” Welch returns to Trail Mix this month.
Perhaps my favorite music story of 2014 was that of Leo “Bud” Welch, the octogenarian blues man from Mississippi whose first record, the gospel driven Sabougla Voices, was released last year after Welch cold-called the folks at Big Legal Mess Records and pitched his tunes. Welch returns to Trail Mix this month upon the the release of his second record in just fifteen months.
If last year’s Sabougla Voices was Sunday morning, I Don’t Prefer No Blues is certainly Saturday night. A collection of gritty, rocking blues tunes, this record is much more juke joint than Sunday morning tent revival. As a good friend of mine recently, professed, “Now, THIS sounds like a a Fat Possum record.” Blues aficionados out there will know exactly what he meant by that. For the uninitiated, check out Welch’s “Girl in The Holler” on this month’s mix.
For more on Leo “Bud” Welch, check out this stunning short film from The Legacy Project.
This month, Jedd Ferris scoured the Blue Ridge to bring you a feature on 20 Bands To Watch. Trail Mix doubled down and has some of those artists featured, too. Take a listen to the brand new tunes from Folk Soul Revival, Emily Hearn, Gill Landry, and The Honeycutters and find out what the buzz is all about.
Make sure you check out the new offerings from Sam Lewis, The Steel Wheels, and Keller Williams, three long time Trail Mix favorites, as well as the tunes from Lindsay Lou & The Flatbellys, Trout Steak Revival, Future Thieves, Folk Family Revival, Milk Drive, Rani Arbo & Daisy Mayhem, Brian Lisik, Rob Nance, Mikaela Kahn, Foghorn Stringband, Humming House, The Damnwells, Tommy Wallach, and many more.
Stay tuned to this month’s Trail Mix blogs for some great interviews and giveaways. Next week, Trail Mix chats with Cruz Contreras, of The Black Lillies, about next weekend’s Rhythm & Blooms Music Festival in Knoxville. Features on Andrew Combs, Grayson Capps, and Banditos are also on tap.
And, of course, make sure to play this month’s mix often and loudly. Share with a friend one of the tracks that really lights your fire. And, as always, get out there and buy these records or see these artists when they come through your town.
- Old Crow Medicine Show 1:00
- The Oak Tree Emily Hearn 4:05
- Take Too Long Milk Drive 4:10
- Mantra Keller Williams 4:06
- Lost The Damnwells 3:49
- Freight Train Humming House 2:45
- Foolin Andrew Combs 3:37
- Far Cry From Here Malcolm Holcombe 2:52
- Worn Wool, Soft Leather The Steel Wheels 2:43
- I'm Coming Home Sam Lewis 3:47
- Normalcy Brian Lisik 2:28
- Lorraine's Song Grayson Capps 4:06
- Goin' Across the Mountain Anna & Elizabeth 2:19
- Days of Gray Trout Steak Revival 3:34
- I Will Watch Tommy Wallach 3:55
- Henry Lee Foghorn Stringband 4:08
- Ain't It The Truth The Honeycutters 3:46
- The Fix Lindsay Lou & The Flatbellys 2:54
- Le vin est bon Melisande 4:01
- Just Like You Gill Landry 4:46
- Girl in the Holler Leo "Bud" Welch 3:46
- Chemical Attraction Mikaela Kahn 3:27
- Buy Your Drink Folk Soul Revival 2:43
- The Emperors New Sound Arthur Nasson 2:54
- Somebody Call a Doctor Chick Quest 2:41
- If It Don't Kill You Folk Family Revival 3:17
- Heart of the World Rani Arbo & Daisy Mayhem 3:54
- No Gold Rob Nance 4:44
- Nightmares Future Thieves 5:14
- Cry Baby Cry Banditos 2:30
- Dark Birds of Night 4:13