I’ll never forget when I was first introduced to Ryan Bingham.
A good friend sent me a mix of Americana artists some ten years ago. On the playlist was Bingham, and “Dylan’s Hard Rain,” from his Roadhouse Sun release, swiftly reeled me in. After that, I was down the rabbit hole, digging deeper into the catalog, staying tuned to subsequent releases, regularly marveling at Bingham’s gravel throated poetry.
Imagine my elation when Trail Mix was able to pick up a track from Bingham’s new record, American Love Song, which drops later this month. It’s not often that the mix gets to feature an Oscar and Grammy winner who happens to be one of my own favorite artists. To say that I am stoked is an understatement. Please jump right in and enjoy “Wolves,” from the aforementioned American Love Song, which hits the streets on February 15th.
February also features the return of many long time Trail Mix friends. Check out new tunes from Dale Watson, Darlingside, The Vandoliers, Robert Ellis, Galactic, Seth Walker, Charlie Faye & The Fayettes, Marley’s Ghost, The Way Down Wanderers, and Eric Brace, Peter Cooper, & Thomas Jutz.
Included with these old friends are songs from Trail Mix newcomers, like long time Scorchers front man Jason Ringenberg, Reed Foehl, whose latest record features Band of Heathens, Liz Brasher, China, Brookhaven & Scatter Swept, Daniel Miller, and Abigail Lapell.
Lots of good stuff coming to the Trail Mix blog this month, too. Stay tuned for chats with Amy McCarley and Huib Schippers, of Smithsonian Folkways, along with show previews – and ticket giveaways!!! – for Mispo in Charlottesville and The Steel Woods in Johnson City, Tennessee.
That’s a lot to take in. I suggest digging in right now. Curl up with a mug of tea, or maybe a good bourbon, and keep the polar vortex at bay with some great tunes. Once the weather breaks, get out and grab a record or two from these artists, spread the word, or catch them live. Trail Mix exists each and every month because these incredible musicians allow us to share their music. Give back. They appreciate it.
- Wolves Ryan Bingham 4:32
- Sawtell Brookhaven & Scatter Swept 3:46
- Halfway To Mexico Abigail Lapell 3:23
- Clap Your Hands Galactic 3:06
- Bright As The Day Darlingside 3:05
- Ain't Life Funny Amy McCarley 3:04
- Cigarettes In The Rain Vandoliers 3:41
- David Buxkemper Dale Watson 3:03
- He's On An Island Reed Foehl 3:27
- God Bless The Ramones Jason Ringenberg 3:52
- Crooked Pines The Way Down Wanderers 4:29
- Nobody Smokes Anymore Robert Ellis 3:25
- King of the Keelboat Men Eric Brace, Peter Cooper & Thomm Jutz 2:54
- I Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Country Joe McDonald 2:59
- Travelin' Shoes Marley's Ghost 3:05
- Marnie China 3:29
- I Don't Need No Baby Charlie Faye & The Fayettes 3:43
- Giving it All Away Seth Walker 4:02
- Dusk Daniel Miller 4:07
- Blood of the Lamb Liz Brasher 3:02