Scott Miller is a Blue Ridge Mountain bard.
The long revered singer/songwriter has called the Shenandoah Valley, and his family dairy farm, home the last many years. After the farming poet established himself with The V-Roys and his solo band, the Commonwealth, Miller has cut this record with a group he christened the Ladies Auxiliary, a cast of some of the finest female musicians from across the Americana world. Miller is the only guy in the ensemble, and – in a nod to these fine women who helped him on the project – the record aptly shares the same name. Trail Mix is proud to showcase “Lo Siento Spanishburg West Virginia” from the new release.
Another track the mix is excited to feature this month comes from up and coming psychelic rockers Greta Van Fleet. This soon to be rock powerhouse dropped an EP earlier this year. On November 10th, Greta Van Fleet doubles down, releasing From The Fires, a double EP that features the first four tracks and four brand new tunes. Feel free to feed your inner Robert Plant while taking a listen to “Highway Song.”
Our twin home towns offer up some great new music this month, too. Chamomile & Whiskey, who hail from near Charlottesville, and Young Mister, of Asheville, have new recordings. Trail Mix is always happy to give our hometown talents some love.
Also included on this month’s mix are brand new tracks from The White Buffalo, Sweetwater String Band, Fovea, Tomkat, Masontown, Jim Byrnes, Thor Platter, Cameron Blake, Rob Williams, Ronnie Fauss, Peter Case, Elizabeth & The Catapult, Bill Toms & Hard Rain, and Matt Patershuk.
Be sure to check out the Trail Mix blog this month. Chats with Drew Kennedy, Greta Van Fleet, and The Railsplitters are on tap.
And, as always, be sure to get out there and grab some of these records, spread the word about these bands, and go catch them live when they hit a stage near you. They share with us. Give back them. Everybody wins.
- Hot Knuckle Blues Matt Patershuk 3:34
- Highway Tune... Greta Van Fleet 3:01
- Whispering River Young Mister 2:15
- Window Sweetwater String Band 3:39
- Devil's Train Bill Toms and Hard Rain (featuring The Soulville Horns) 5:21
- Cost Of Fovea 5:10
- On The Way Downtown (Live on FolkScene) Peter Case 3:38
- Drowning TOMKAT 4:44
- Step By Step Jim Byrnes 4:06
- Underwater Elizabeth & The Catapult 4:02
- Los Siento, Spanishburg, WVa Scott Miller 3:58
- In This Time Masontown 3:24
- The Observatory The White Buffalo 3:48
- Open Road Drew Kennedy 3:44
- Old Red Barn Cameron Blake 3:39
- Nelson County Chamomile And Whiskey 3:38
- Saginam Paper Mill Ronnie Fauss 3:32
- The Old North State Rob Williams 3:25
- Jump In The Railsplitters 3:25
- Since Ive Been Gone Thor Platter 3:10