Kinky Friedman returns with new material. It’s only been forty years since the last batch.
The last time Kinky Friedman released a record with original material, I was just past being potty trained.
In the nearly four decades since his last batch of new tunes, Kinky Friedman has become an an icon of the American arts. He has toured with Bob Dylan, recorded with Eric Clapton, performed on both Saturday Night Live and The Grand Ole Opry, ran for governor of Texas, and written a series of wildly successful crime novels that feature none other than Kinky Friedman himself as the main character.
Ending that thirty-nine year drought of new tunes is The Loneliest Man I Ever Met, a collection of original tunes and reinterpretations of songs written by friends and colleagues like Willie Nelson, Tom Waits, and Bob Dylan.
Trail Mix is excited to feature “Bloody Mary Morning,” which includes guest vocals and guitar from Willie Nelson.
This month’s mix features a couple treats for fans of the jam. The String Cheese Incident will be releasing Rhythm of the Road: Volume 2, Live in Las Vegas later this month. This three disc set will feature remastered versions of some of the band’s best performances from Sin City and featured this month is a smoking take of “Cedar Laurels.” Also in this month’s mix for the jam aficionado is a rendition of Phish’s “The Squirming Coil” by Holly Bowling, who is set to release Distillation of A Dream: The Music of Phish Reimagined For Solo Piano. This two disc set includes fifteen classic Phish songs reinterpreted by Bowling for piano. Stay tuned to the Trail Mix blog for a chat with Holly Bowling about her endeavors, which include a thirty-seven minute transcription and performance of Phish’s megajam “Tweezer.”
Also featured this month are great tracks from ChessBoxer, Jenny & Tyler, Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs, The Supersuckers, The Legendary Shack Shakers, Ali Holder, The Yawpers, Edward David Anderson, Greg Baker, Here We Go Magic, The Bottle Rockets, The New Mastersounds, Jenna Moynihan, and Jim Lauderdale.
Make sure to keep your eyes on the Trail Mix blog this month. Along with the aforementioned chat with Holly Bowling, stay tuned for features on Jon Stickley, The Oh Hellos, and Mipso.
And, as always, stream and download until you just can’t stand it anymore. Spread the word about the great artists you hear on Trail Mix, and make sure you buy a couple of these records or catch some of these bands live when they come through your town. Thank them for sharing their music with you here on Trail Mix.
- Bitter Water The Oh Hellos 3:17
- Calon Lan ChessBoxer 4:15
- Haven Jenna Moynihan 3:51
- Made For Pleasure The New Mastersounds 2:24
- Monday (Everytime I Turn Around) The Bottle Rockets 3:45
- Point To Point Jon Stickley Trio 5:20
- There's No End To The Sky Jim Lauderdale 3:47
- Sentimental in the Morning Edward David Anderson 3:04
- Burdens The Yawpers 3:20
- Coulda Shoulda Woulda Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs 3:06
- High & Outside Supersuckers 3:25
- Marianne Mipso 3:20
- 50 Miles From Nowhere Greg Blake 3:18
- Demon Rum Legendary Shack Shakers 2:00
- Bloody Mary Morning Kinky Friedman 3:08
- From My Veins Will Fall Ali Holder 3:32
- Ordinary Feeling Here We Go Magic 5:33
- The Squirming Coil Holly Bowling 6:50
- Where To Begin Jenny & Tyler 3:26
- Cedar Laurels The String Cheese Incident 8:49
Photo by Brian Kanof.